Thursday, July 22, 2010

Skin Cancer scare?

I recently had a mole removed which turned out to be skin cancer-basal cell carcinoma-which doesn't normally spread. However, I am very young to have this type of cancer at just 22 and it puts me more at risk from other types of skin cancers. I'm very moley and my other moles are displaying symptoms of melonoma-i'm going to the docs first thing on monday to get them checked out.





i'm so scared and feel all alone, my bf split up with me and few weeks ago which just adds to the stress of everything. i can't stop worrying about it, any advice?

Skin Cancer scare?
Sorry for your recent diagnosis. I think you are very lucky however because knowledge is power. You are now educated and know what to look for as well because they are found early that just makes your treatments and diagnosis's easier. I do agree the unknown is pretty scary. But if you do have more cancerous moles they can easily be removed. You need to relax, your nerves are just heightened because of your last scare. Most moles are not cancerous at all you are probably just being paranoid. I know easier said than done but this is what my friends tell me when I get all freaked out and they are usually right, it is over nothing. Don't worry unless you have something to worry about. You will be fine.
Reply:I also had a basal cell cancer removed at an early age (30). You definitely need to follow up with a dermatologist and have them follow you closely. They will do a thorough skin exam and based on what they see they'll be having you back at least 1/year.





Also, you should take your risk factors seriously and get proactive about you skin. You should be using sunscreen of %26gt; 15 with protection for both UVA and UVB (many don't cover both). Although the primary risk for melanoma is sunburns early in life, many people think that sun exposure now may activate abnormal melanocytes leading to melanoma.


No comments:

Post a Comment